Risks in drilling a well
Drilling a well can be risky and there are several hazards involved in drilling operations. Some of the safety risks involved in drilling operations include harsh weather conditions, fire and explosions due to the large quantities of flammable materials, electric shock, geological faults and structures, pipe sticking and drill pipe failures, lost circulation, borehole deviation, pipe failures, borehole instability, formation contamination, hydrogen sulfide or other gas, hydraulic fracturing, buried valleys, and man-made features¹²⁴⁵⁶.
(1) Drilling Safety: Identify and Assess Risks | SafetyCulture. https://www-sandpit.safetyculture.com/topics/drilling-safety/.
(2) Drilling Hazards | SpringerLink. https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-3-319-12127-7_96-1.
(3) Safety Risk Management of Drilling Operations - JPT. https://jpt.spe.org/safety-risk-management-drilling-operations.
(4) Hazard identification and risk assessment - National Offshore Petroleum .... https://www.nopsema.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/2021-03/A462124.pdf.
(5) Guidance about exploration drilling hazards - Department of Mines .... https://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/Safety/Guidance-about-exploration-6803.aspx.
(6) Application of risk analysis in drilling well problems and operations .... https://www.researchgate.net/publication/341435129_APPLICATION_OF_RISK_ANALYSIS_IN_DRILLING_WELL_PROBLEMS_AND_OPERATIONSFIELD_CASE_STUDY.